Wednesday, January 18, 2017

Emma Watson: "In a strange way, she challenges the status quo of the place she lives in, and I found that really inspiring."

The latest issue of Total Film magazine features an exclusive look at Beauty and the Beast and an interview with the film's stars and director Bill Condon. During the interview, Emma Watson discusses why she turned down the role of Cinderella in the 2014 live-action film and Belle's "empowering defiance."
I didn't know they were going to make Beauty and the Beast at the time I turned down Cinderella, but when they offered me Belle, I just felt the character resonated with me so much more than Cinderella did. 
She remains curious, compassionate and open-minded. And that's the kind of woman I would want to embody as a role model, given the choice. There's this kind of outsider quality that Belle had, and the fact she had this really empowering defiance of what was expected of her. In a strange way, she challenges the status quo of the place she lives in, and I found that really inspiring. She manages to keep her integrity and have a completely independent point of view. She's not easily swayed by other people's perspective—not swayed by fear-mongering or scapegoating. 

The latest issue of Total Film is on newsstands now and you can view the full article here from Emma Watson Updates.


Source: Total Film, Emma Watson Updates, E! News

No comments:

Post a Comment